Saturday, April 29, 2006

About Dad

I work as a Software Engineer for a small non-profit organization whose mission is to "educate and empower youth to make their Internet experiences safe and responsible". I usually enjoy my work but there are days...

For fun (, fitness & pain) I like to ride a road bike (as in bicycle). This has been a fairly recent passion of mine. It started a little over a year ago, I had started running to get in shape and lower my cholestrol and hated it. Running is too much work for covering very little distance. As a kid in India, I used to ride my bicycle to school everyday so I thought of riding to work. I started off on a hybrid bike (fatter tires, lower max. speed), then borrowed a co-worker's (thanks Paul!) old road bike (narrower tires, higher max. speed) and I was hooked. I started riding to work 3 days a week, my building was only 5 miles away but I took a route in the morning that took me by the ocean and was 14 miles long and in the evening I'd do the short 5 mile ride home. When my schedule changed I started riding during my lunch hour with Paul, he is a tri-athlete (well, he was until his first child arrived, he plans on coming out of retirement with the LA Triathlon this September). Recently, my company moved buildings and my current building doesn't have any showers so I need to come up with a creative way of smelling clean...any ideas besides a ton of deodorant?

Of all the bike rides I've been on around San Diego, a few stand out. My absolute favorite bike ride has to be the first ride I did this year on the 2nd of January. I had planned to ride down the coast but when I woke up it was raining pretty hard. I always thought that if I went out in the rain I would get sick, so I resigned myself to staying home when Elizabeth told me to just go and have fun. I did. I went for a two and a half hour ride and it was awesome! It has to be one of the hardest rides I've done because of the strong winds and the pounding rain. What stood out to me the most was the ocean, she looked like an enraged green beast...and I didn't fall sick!

One of my daily highlights is driving to/from work, the short 5 mile trip never fails to put a smile on my face when I'm having a bad day. I knew God had blessed me with my perfect mate when she turned to me one morning almost 4 years ago and said, "Honey, if you want a sports car, I think you should get it now while you are young, in California and we don't have any kids." 2 months later, I was the proud owner of a 1995 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo. The Z has certainly been expensive to maintain but she's worth it.

This past year, I took a big step of faith by joining the leadership team at BSF (Bible Study Fellowhip). This year we have been studying the book of Genesis. The nature, character and relationship of God with His people has been an insightful study. I am very thankful that the God I serve is unchanging. Three nuggets of wisdom that I have been blessed with this year are:
  1. "You are the God who sees me" Genesis 16:13 - When Hagar ran away from Sarai because she was mistreated, the angel of the Lord came and comforted her.
  2. "The Lord Will Provide" Genesis 22:14 - A test of Abraham's faith and a glimpse of God's plan for mankind's redemption.
  3. God has a plan for my life. I got this nugget from the life of Joseph. His was the first "Rags to Riches" story recorded. Here is a man who went through years of patient suffering and humiliation to eventually become Pharaoh's second-in-command and to say to his brothers who sold him into slavery, "...do not be angry with yourselves for selling me here, because it was to save lives that God sent me ahead of you" Genesis 45:5
The photo album has been updated with some 21 wk pictures of Elizabeth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats Vivek

I cannot imagine that you are a dad now, well I will get used to the idea.

Maya is a great name, hopefully if I ever get myself down to sunny San Diego, I will definately meet up with you. If you are ever in NYC let me know.

Kaushal

kparikh@rouxinc.com is my contact email.